Thursday, April 3, 2014

Blog 16

The Revised Research Plan

After doing interview analysis, I feel like I have strong evidence for my paper.  I'm psyched to actually get into the groove and start the paper.


Statement of Purpose
For my research paper, I plan to do an ethnographic study on a cheerleading team as a discourse community through the observations of teamwork.  I know its a mouthful but, basically, I am going to study a cheerleading team, through Swale's model of a discourse community and observe the teamwork used to form the community.  The teamwork also gives a sense of community.
 
Detailed Statement of your Research Question(s)
  • What does the data show about teamwork? About the positive aspects of cheerleading?
  • What language patterns form when the interviewer talks about cheerleading as a individual?
  • When do the cultural stories of cheerleading show up?
  • How does the interviewee, in an underlying manner, feel about cheerleading? (teamwork)
List of the Information You Need to Gather
Now that I have gathered the interview as well as observational notes.  I need to start looking through everything and picking out what is useful and what is just good background information.  I observed six practices, all having similar but different characteristics.  It is a lot of information to go through and I need to look at the patterns that occur from one practice to the next.  No one practice is the same from the next.  Something is always occurring.
 
A Preliminary List of Sources
I will be using the model of a discourse community by John Swales.
 

1 comment:

  1. After my talk with Dr. Chandler, I realized that the topic of my project will be on the ethos of the cheerleading team. I will focus on something greater than just a cheerleading team. Just from my interview it is apparent that this group has strong, unbreakable bonds. I will focus on interactions within each cheerleader rather than the sport itself.

    I will look for cheerleading papers, scholarly of course.
    I WILL NOT be using Swale's model of a discourse community anymore.

    ugh, so excited to start this paper already.

    ReplyDelete