Monday, February 10, 2014

Blog 5

On Thursday in class, Dr. Chandler had us take notes on an ethnographic exercise in class.  The results and findings are quiet interesting and I would like to share them below:


Jottings

  • Ariana
  • introducing ourselves
  • associating with one another
  • "fake" talking
  • forced talking
  • arms crossed
  • nervous
  • taking notes
  • walking around
  • mixer
  • 2:56 met Melissa

Headnotes

  • Forced to have a mixer
  • Walked around in a circle
  • Spoke to briana, Melissa, holly and ariana
  • Everyone had their arms crossed
  • It was a bit nervous tension in the room
  • Forced to walk around in a way
  • Spoke to ariana about peoples body language
  • Spoke to holly about peoples arms being crossed
  • Dr chandler then took holly away
  • Then I met Melissa
  • Asked her what sorority she was from
  • I told her I was going out for Delta Phi Epsilon
  • She told me that was great and how I liked it
  • Explained I had no friends at school that why I wanted to join
  • I did not attend Meet the Greeks
  • She said it was the best time of her life, her sorority performed
  • Proud to be apart of her group
  • Told story about hoe she met her little
  • Were in the same class, were not fond of each other and then it was like love at first sight
  • Then the class got really silent and Melissa and I were still chatting
  • Told me her and her little were wearing matching letters because they had an event today
  • Also told me goodluck with dphie
  • Then we were instructed to say goodbye and go back to our seats
  • Exclaimed to the class that Melissa and I became friends

Things I Remembered Later

  • The whole time I was writing on my cell phone
  • Used my hands to talk, it because im Italian
  • Did not migrate far only spoke to 4 people that were in my proximity
  • Majority of classmates were using their smart phone
  • Comfy vs not into it or not comfy
  • Some people formed groups some stood still
  • Eventually everyone went back to who they were comfy with
  • Lack of eye contact
  • Hard to start the conversation

Field notes

Dr. Chandler exclaimed to the class to start the exercise and start to mingle.  At first we were forced into groups, talking to people we have never spoken to within the class.  We all walked around in a circle examining who we should talk too.  At first I spoke with Briana, a person whom I was already friendly with, Holly, and Ariana.  We all noted together that everyone had their arms crossed and we felt a bit of tension within the room.  We noticed that there was also a lack of eye contact within the room and most students were paying more attention to their cellular devices.  After the three of us, Briana, Holly, and Ariana, spoke for a bit we were then asked to "migrate" around the room and talk to another set of people.  This is when Dr. Chandler pulled Holly away and took her to another group.  Then I came upon Melissa.  A young student who was wearing greek letters from her sorority.  I greeted her with a big "hi" and asked which sorority she was apart of.  I explained to her that I did not have many friends at school as a commuter and I was interested in joining a sorority as well.  She told me that being in a sorority has become the best moments of her life and she's extremely proud to be apart of the tight niched sisterhood.  As the conversation progressed, Melissa told me a story about her "little" in the sorority and how they were originally not fond of one another until recently joining the sisterhood.  Then all the sudden the class got extremely quiet and all I could hear was my conversation.  Dr. Chandler the exclaimed nicely for everyone to say goodbye and return to their seats.  I said my goodbyes to Melissa saying it was great meeting her and told the class on the way back to my seat that I had made a new friend.  Passing Briana quietly, I returned to my seat.


What I Learned

Ethnographic research is difficult!  Especially when you have to observe and take notes as well as interact and be apart of the community!  There are so many details that need to be watched and written about.  I know for sure I left out certain details and moments just because I could not write and observe as fast as I was speaking.  Overall, I think this exercise was a positive experience.  I know for certain that my ethnographic skills most certainly need some more time before I could become an expert. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment