Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Blog 7

On Tuesday in class, Dr. Chandler counted us off and put us into groups.  I was hesitant at first, not knowing what to expect from each one of us "counting off".  When we were told to find our opposites, I was glad to see Holly, a familiar face.  We were placed in two desks outside the classroom where we chatted about Valentine's Day and "interviewed" one another.  

Considering Holly and myself already knew each other on a name basis, the interview was not so difficult.  Well, the conversation came naturally which, set us off track a bit from the topic of Valentine's Day.  There were brief pauses and no conversation at points when we did not know what types of questions to asked.  We talked to one another about Valentine's Day in Grammar School with the cute cards and candy.  Holly told me that her mom loved making goodie bags for the class which in turn got her into the holiday spirit.  We then talked about how we both worked this previous Valentine's Day and soon got off topic about where we work and other work related stuff.  It was a pleasure speaking with Holly since I have never really said much but a "hey, whats up?'.  I also learned some things which I can use towards the interviews I will do for my research project.

It most definitely takes time and preparation for an interview!  I feel Holly and I had little time to prepare questions for our conversation which is why we had a few quiet spots.  Also, it was really easy for us to veer off topic because we both are not fans of Valentine's Day and would have rather talked about other life events.  I learned that interviews must follow some sort of outline and question to stay as close as possible to the topic at hand.  Also, since we were outside the classroom near a staircase, students would pass by here and there which caused a bit of a distraction.  I think my phone was a little of a distraction as well.  I do highly believe that interviews should be done in a quiet space.

Overall, I think this was a GREAT warm-up exercise and I cannot wait to do it again with my new knowledge on interviewing as well as an ideal set of questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment